Pages

Friday 24 May 2013

Oak Desk and Chair

Here is my latest refinishing project. A friend of mine called me back in February and said, there is a really cool Oak desk and chair set at his favourite second hand shop. I was so excited about it because after those night stands, I kinda caught a bug to keep refinishing stuff. So, Grant and I set out right away to the store to check it out and bought it.

I was a bit overwhelmed at first, not really sure what I was going to do with this now that I bought it. It's oak, and the colour of the wood was so nice I would have been heartbroken to paint over it. However, there were a few good stains on the top that I wouldn't be able to cover if I didn't paint it. It was missing a piece of decorative wood at the back and one other piece was broken. Let's just say, it sat for a good couple of weeks before I was inspired.

Then it hit me. And I love when that happens – probably my family doesn't though, because once I've got what I want to do in my head, I zone out and pretty much ignore them until I'm done. Anyway, it was Dave who called to tell me about this set, so I decided to model this piece after him. He LOVES fishing. I immediately knew I would paint a fish on the top surface and from there, the idea to stain/paint some sections out green came. It was a great bargain fabric at the fabric store for recovering the chair that happened to be in the same colour. So it all kinda fell into place.

All in all, it was a bigger project than I thought it would be, replacing some parts, stripping all the corners and putting everything back together. The stains on the top are still showing, although I stained the top a few extra times, and sanded it back really well. They will just have to be chalked up to "character". After all, this is a solid oak antique. 




The finishing touch was the painting of the Bass on the top. I think it adds a ton of character and a little bit of uniqueness. This is a piece that would go perfectly in a cabin or cottage somewhere.

So, thanks Dave for the heads up on this find and for the inspiration of the finished product.

I am selling this piece so if you are interested, please leave me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment